TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: What is Area Code 113?

Re: What is Area Code 113?

Justa Lurker (JustaLurker@att.net)
Sat, 15 Oct 2005 19:58:37 GMT

Fred Atkinson wrote:

> I seem to remember that years ago, 113 was the number for directory
> assistance down in Florida. But that doesn't give a clue as to why it
> showed up on your caller ID.

Must've been GTE territory (well, back then, it was the General System).

In Erie PA [GTE before becoming Bell Atlantic and now Verizon of
course] during the 1960s (possibly earlier than that), information
was also 113 ... repair was 114 ... the fire department was 1171
... and you dialed 112 before the area code and number when placing
a DDD [direct-distance dialing] long distance call. I want to say
that the test board was 116 but it's been a long time. Not sure if
there was a speed-dial code (if you will) for the business office.

For some reason, I think a lot of this went away when the GTD EAX
replaced the old step-by-step equipment sometime in the late 60s or
early 70s (?).

Funny what you remember :-)

Go to Next message: Carl Navarro: "Re: Device That Interfaces Between Phone/CallerID and Serial Port?"
Go to Previous message: Jim Haynes: "Re: Switchboards in Homes; Closing at Night"
May be in reply to: IMAFriend: "What is Area Code 113?"