TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Disaster Recovery in 1871

Re: Disaster Recovery in 1871

Dan (dan@nospam.com)
Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:37:22 -0500

On 10/6/2005 2:11 PM, Norm wrote:

> Nice item, thanks! I've looked for something you posted a dozen years
> ago, that happened during the initial A- bomb testing, where they
> couldn't make phone calls and someone drove out and traced the
> telephone lines to the "central" office in a house and woke the
> operator. Is that still around somewhere?

> Thanks,

> Norm

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The story goes like this ... in the
> early to middle 1960's I was employed as a telephone operator at the
> University of Chicago. I lived in an apartment hotel on East 56th
> Street, 56th and Hyde Park Blvd. to be precise. Another resident of
> the hotel was Mrs. Laura Fermi, widow of the late Enrico Fermi, of
> atomic bomb fame. Mrs. Fermi was a typical, 'well-to-do' widow. She,
> on various occassions 'invited' me, a Young Man to join her for dinner
> and cocktails at 'The Anchorage', the hotel's dining room and cocktail
> lounge. I almost always accepted her invitation. In those days, forty
> years ago, the Windermere Hotel (phone FAIrfax 4-6000) was not only a
> very good place for a Young Man to live, but the bar and restaurant
> was very 'cozy' also. Of course dinner and drinks were on her on-going
> always-open tab at the restaurant/bar/hotel. I understand now that
> maybe 20-25 years ago, UC bought the property and converted it into
> faculty housing. I understand the bar, restaurant, front lobby, etc
> have, like much of Hyde Park these days lost their luster, if in fact
> The Anchorage is even still open, which I sort of doubt. Anyway, this
> would have been in 1962-63 or thereabouts. Mrs. Fermi told me a very
> interesting story which I will relate to you. After I first related
> this here in the Digest, middle to late 1980's there were some readers
> who discredited it to varying degrees. The discredits ranged from
> polite attempts to set the record straight, to more crude replies
> about older ladies spending forty dollars (in 1960's money) to
> entertain and amuse a Young Man with food and drink for whatever
> reason, once or twice weekly. Most readers did not discredit the
> account, nor me, nor Mrs. Fermi however. Certainly, as a telephone
> operator at a prestigious university, and a salary to match the
> cheap standards of UC (i.e. 'you should be glad to be allowed to
> work here, do not bother us asking for still more money') I certainly
> could not afford to eat/drink at The Anchorage, although I did live in
> the building. The Hyde Park Coffee Shop up the street was more my
> speed. Anyway, Mrs. Fermi was good friends with Doctor and Mrs. Beadle,
> (in those days _he_ was president of UC) so it just seemed 'prudent'
> IMO, for this Young Man to do what was expected of him.

> With this preamble in mind, Mrs. Fermi told me this acccount of the
> closing days of World War II:

> "Enrico and several fellow employees in his lab were asked to go out
> to Alamagordo, NM, to monitor one of the test explosions. It was all
> [...]

Why would she make up such a story? What is interesting is 'what
would have happened if Fermi didn't get equipment deployed and
operational in time?'

Does anyone know if phone switch operators protested/picketed when
auto-switches were being put is place?

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Indeed, in Chicago at least, there
was a work stoppage by telephone operators over this very issue, in
1954-55 in some of the non-automated (at that point in time) suburbs.
All that accomplished was to build the company's resolve to work
harder and faster at getting those points automated as well. But Bell
did not lay off a _single worker_ (usually an operator) as a result
of automation. They kept everyone around, and it was only through
attrition (people retiring, otherwise getting fired, etc and Bell
not hiring new workers) that things leveled off. There were a lot
of rumors in Chicago during the 1940's from operators saying that
'when the company is totally automated most of us wil be let go.'
That simply was not true and did not happen. PAT]

Go to Next message: anon1@sci.sci: "Re: Life Beyond Earth"
Go to Previous message: John McHarry: "Re: United States Says No! Internet is Ours!"
May be in reply to: Patrick Townson: "Disaster Recovery in 1871"