TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband

Re: Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband

Steven Lichter (shlichter@diespammers.com)
Fri, 07 Oct 2005 04:03:28 GMT

John Hines wrote:

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: A couple things I do not understand
>> about voice communication over electrical power lines: Some say it
>> will not work; others say it is okay.

> My understanding is there are two different electrical systems in the
> world, the 220v version the rest of the world uses, and the 110v the
> US uses. In the rest of the world, a fairly large number of residences
> are run off a single transformer, where in the USofA, a much smaller
> number are run.

> For example, in my neighborhood, each block of houses (8-10) has its
> own transformer, which would require a fiber run, or some way to
> couple it to the 12kv 3phase line that drives the transformer.

> Multiply by millions and millions of these things all over the place,
> and it is easy to see why, even though it is being reported in the US
> media, the actual action is taking place in a foreign county, in the
> article, it was Japan.

A few years ago the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power had
planned a system, don't know if they ever went ahead with the plans.

The only good spammer is a dead one!! Have you hunted one down today?
(c) 2005 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot in Hell Co.

Go to Next message: Danny Burstein: "Re: Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband"
Go to Previous message: Phil Lapsley: "Obituary: Passing of Little Known Greatly Influential Telecom Figure"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband"