TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband

Re: Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
5 Oct 2005 13:06:01 -0700

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: A couple things I do not understand
> about voice communication over electrical power lines: Some say it
> will not work; others say it is okay. My own experience has been that
> (a) Chicago Transit Authority for many years (has?) used the third-
> rail for telephone conversations between control towers/trains/station
> agents. (b) I personally have tried so-called 'wireless intercoms'
> between different locations nearby; sometimes they worked (although in
> a rather piss-poor way; other times not at all. I have no personal
> experience with (a) but have been told the connections are very
> 'noisy' many times, and (b) when they worked, they seemed to have a
> lot of 'hum' in the background. When they did not work (all I got
> was hum with no audible voice at all) I am told this was because the
> two intercom stations involved were on opposite 'legs' of the
> transfomer. Can anyone explain this better to me?

I am not an expert on the technology, but it is not hard to "piggyback"
voice communication over an electric power line in various ways:

a) Some college and high school radio stations use facility power lines
as their transmission media. A regular radio tuned to the proper
frequency will pick up the signal, but the radio has to be in a school
building.

b) As mentioned, there are home intercoms that transmit over house
wires.

c) Some subway-el systems transmit trainphone over the 3rd rail. I
don't think the quality is that good and there is a lot of "hum" in the
power background. (Even regular telephone circuits pick up the hum).
I believe some systems started off with 3rd rail carrier but switched
to true radio, which requires the stringing of antenna through all the
tunnels and stations, but gives a better signal and allows hand held
walkie-talkies.

An electric wire can carry currents of different frequencies, so AC
power current, DC power current as well audio frequency and radio
frequency can be all carried on the same line. For example, a RR line