TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Free 411

Re: Free 411

Joseph (JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com)
Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:00:47 -0700

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 19:43:30 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> New ad supported directory assistance. 1-800-FREE-411
> (1-800-373-3411)

> Before the number is given you have to listen to a ten second
> advertisement. The service also has auto connect to the number given.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I tried it, it is a national service,
> handled as much as possible by interactive voice recordings. But their
> voice recognition software does not seem to be very good. After three
> or four attempts to find out what I wanted "a radio station, KOSN in
> Stillwater, OK" it gave up and transferred me to an operator. PAT]

Well, it may not be perfect, but you got what you paid for... ! If
the IVR cannot understand you at least you *do* get transferred to a
live human being. Some services such as 800 directory IVR won't
transfer you to a real person other than during "working hours."
AFAICS the numbers given are correct. Not only that it provides for
call completion for free! If you don't have unlimited long distance
from either your VoIP line or your cell phone it's a bargain in my
book.

Go to Next message: Adam Pasick: "Movie Industry to Move Online to Beat Pirates"
Go to Previous message: Gordon Burditt: "Re: United States Says No! Internet is Ours!"
May be in reply to: Joseph: "Free 411"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page