TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Help Needed with DHCP on Remote Laptop

Re: Help Needed with DHCP on Remote Laptop

Brad Houser (bradDOThouser@intel.com)
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 13:17:40 -0700

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 21:00:00 CDT, ptownson wrote:

> Help wanted: I have a laptop computer here running Win NT from 1997.
> I have a NetGear Wireless card in a slot. It seems to be correctly
> installed; that is, the drivers are there, the little green light on
> the 'television icon' is present, it _says_ it has a very good link,
> and should be working fine. But the laptop reports "The DHCP client
> could not obtain an IP address". Furthermore, no one else on the
> network can see the laptop. The laptop cannot connect to the internet
> nor see anyone else on tne network either. Yet it claims the link
> is present and very strong. Can anyone tell me what is wrong? Why
> is it unable to obtain an IP address via DHCP? Thanks for the help.

> PAT

Try picking a static IP address in the correct range and see if that
works. Just dont' pick one that is already in use.

Brad H

Go to Next message: Gordon Burditt: "Re: United States Says No! Internet is Ours!"
Go to Previous message: Henry: "Re: State of the Internet, 2005"
May be in reply to: ptownson: "Help Needed with DHCP on Remote Laptop"