TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Linksys Site Survey Shows Lots of Info on Nearby Wireless Networks

Re: Linksys Site Survey Shows Lots of Info on Nearby Wireless Networks

Thor Lancelot Simon (tls@panix.com)
Sun, 2 Oct 2005 16:16:02 UTC

William Warren <william_warren_nonoise@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> Pat, the reason those "in the know" about WEP and its weaknesses don't
> like to talk about it is that we sometimes use it for our customers.

> The problem is that WPA, although it has much better security, is
> notoriously hard to get running, especially between nodes made by
> different manufacturers. I've had occasions where I promised to
> encrypt a customer's WiFI network and was forced to use WEP rather
> than admit I couldn't get WPA to function.

This strikes me as gross, willful negligence -- with an attempt to
conceal the same from your client ("rather than admit I couldn't get
WPA to function"). If one of your clients suffers for it, I think it
would be entirely just for you to suffer the consequences.

Real network security professionals do not behave as described above.

William, please don't tar us all with the sticky brush of your own
behavior.

Thor Lancelot Simon tls@rek.tjls.com

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is
to be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem." - Noam Chomsky

Go to Next message: A. Berger -- Onlynux: "Re: Getting Rid of "Legal" Spam?"
Go to Previous message: obsidian: "Re: 10 Out of 10 For Idea; 1000 for Implementation"
May be in reply to: apngss@yahoo.com: "Linksys Site Survey Shows Lots of Info on Nearby Wireless Networks"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page