TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband

Re: Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband

Daniel AJ Sokolov (sokolov@gmx.netnetnet.invalid)
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 02:29:34 +0200

am 29.09.2005 17:44 schrieb hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com:

> Recently this newsgroup debated the barriers for entry for new
> communications carriers.

> Well, now they are working to use power lines to bring in broadband
> service, so consumers will eventually have a third independent choice
> of communications providers.

> The ability of power lines to carry comm signals has been known since
> the 1930s. Apparently some practical ways to utilize that have been
> developed and there have been several pieces in the press about it.

And it is a technological dead end.

First, the effort to make it happen is big. You have to lay fibre to
the transformation substation closest to the user. Still, the bandwith
isn't very good. And, last but not least, the wires are unshielded. So
they are acting like *huge* antennas - emitting a lot of garbage waves
and flooding big parts of the frequency spectrum. Radio traffic often
is disturbed, and, of course, you neighbours can easily listen in on
what your doing - more easily than with Wi-Fi.

Daniel AJ

My e-mail-address is sokolov [at] gmx dot net

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: Why is VOIP Getting Hot Now?"
Go to Previous message: Jim Haynes: "Re: Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Electric Powerlines to be Used For Broadband"