TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine?

Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine?

Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu)
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:41:16 -0400

In article <telecom24.444.6@telecom-digest.org>, jrefactors@hotmail.com
wrote:

> Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? IP address is

On Windows I think you may have to edit the registry to do it. On
most home broadband routers, you can do it from their web-based
configuration system.

> assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is based on the
> MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept?

Sort of. The ISP's DHCP server typically remembers the IP address
that it previously assigned to a MAC address. When that MAC address
requests an IP address later, it tries to give it the same address if
it's still available. So on broadband ISPs, the IP address usually
stays the same when the MAC address stays the same.

Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Go to Next message: Jim Hatfield: "Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine?"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine?"
May be in reply to: jrefactors@hotmail.com: "Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine?"