TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Oakland Calif Conversion From 6 to 7 Digit Dialing?

Re: Oakland Calif Conversion From 6 to 7 Digit Dialing?

Joseph (JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com)
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:35:58 -0700

On 27 Sep 2005 09:40:30 -0700, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> In reading a book about the Key System railway, older schedules had a
> six-digit phone number (2L-4N) while newer ones had seven-digits
> (2L-5N).

> Would anyone know when Oakland converted?

My guess is Oakland was converted to 2L-5N prior to the introduction
of DDD (direct distance dialing.) That's what happened with Seattle
which was 2L-4N prior to being converted to 2L-5N. Also, often when
converting from 2L-4N to 2L-5N the central office "exchange" code was
changed. The change in Oakland was likely done in the early to
mid-sixties since that's when DDD was introduced to most of the big
city areas.

> Also, was six digit dialing (2L-4N) common in a lot of places?

2L-4N was very common except in exceptionally large cities such as Los
Angeles, New York and Philadelphia though I bet that originally these
cities had 2L-4N as well.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Chicago was 3L-4N throughout the 1930's
and 1940's, (that is, from the start of automated calling through the
final cutover of same.) The original third letter (as in ALBany and
ROGers Park) became the first number in the new 2L-5N system, (which
is to say ALBany became ALbany-2, KEDzie became KEdzie-3 and ROGers
Park became ROgers Park-4. That cutover occurred, I think, in 1948
when the final conversion from manual to dial took place in the
HUMboldt central office. Operators were spreading rumors that after
the final cutover, 'hundreds' of operators would be laid off, out of
a job. The fact is _no one_ was laid off, and with the opening of
Ohare Airport six or eight months after that, Humboldt had more
employees assigned there than it ever had in the manual days. PAT]

Go to Next message: harold@hallikainen.com: "Re: Oakland Calif Conversion From 6 to 7 Digit Dialing?"
Go to Previous message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: Oakland Calif Conversion From 6 to 7 Digit Dialing?"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Oakland Calif Conversion From 6 to 7 Digit Dialing?"