TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Internet Satellite Imagery Under Fire Over Security

Re: Internet Satellite Imagery Under Fire Over Security

jmeissen@aracnet.com
10 Sep 2005 22:59:03 GMT

Jim Burks <jbburks@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Panarat Thepgumpanat <reuters@telecom-digest.org> wrote in message

>> By Panarat Thepgumpanat

>> Asian governments have expressed security concerns about easy access
>> to detailed satellite images on the Internet, such as those used by
>> rescuers in New Orleans, saying the technology could endanger
>> sensitive sites.

> Google should do the same as they do for the US. Currently, they
> block the roof of the White House, and buildings around it. View
> 1600 Pennsylvania and see. As you zoom in, at a certain magnification,
> the roofs are whited out.

I don't know what you're looking at, but Google Earth shows complete
detail of the White House down to the max resolution, which is much
higher resolution than the satellite imagery on maps.google.com. Same
with the Pentagon.

John Meissen jmeissen@aracnet.com

Go to Next message: Gene S. Berkowitz: "Re: Internet Satellite Imagery Under Fire Over Security"
Go to Previous message: Ed Clarke: "Re: Internet Satellite Imagery Under Fire Over Security"
May be in reply to: Panarat Thepgumpanat: "Internet Satellite Imagery Under Fire Over Security"