TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Flood Relief Efforts - Unfair Criticism?

Re: Flood Relief Efforts - Unfair Criticism?

jmeissen@aracnet.com
5 Sep 2005 23:51:23 GMT

John L. Shelton <john@jshelton.com> wrote:

> It will be very hard to convince me that 100k people in New Orleans
> were incapable of leaving in advance. Many poor people have cars, or
> have friends/families with cars. There were enough cars in NO to
> evacuate everyone.

Interestingly, the prophetic series by the Times-Picayune back in 2002
predicted exactly that:

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf?/washingaway/leftbehind_1.html

"...And 100,000 people without transportation will be especially
threatened.

A large population of low-income residents do not own cars and would
have to depend on an untested emergency public transportation system
to evacuate them."

The entire series is available here:

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/?/washingaway/

John Meissen jmeissen@aracnet.com

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Washington Failed to Fund Levee Projects"
Go to Previous message: Editor: "Skylink Group Launches Interactive Wireless Security System"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Flood Relief Efforts - Unfair Criticism?"