TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: New Orleans Phones Are All Out, Also

Re: New Orleans Phones Are All Out, Also

Joe Morris (jcmorris@mitre.org)
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 12:51:44 UTC

Diamond Dave <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.DOTcom> writes:

> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 02:16:28 GMT, Jim Burks <jbburks@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Has anybody heard from Mark Cuccia? Hopefully, he either got out of
>> town, or is keeping his head above water.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: You might wish to try the Tulane
> University library, where he was employed, and ask them what they
> know, if anything. I do not know how badly, if at all, the flood
> affected the library and its book collections. Obviously, the phones
> are out, but perhaps someone with some imagination can find a way to
> reach the library staff. PAT]

It may or may not help you, but the web site of the Times-Picayune
(the New Orleans newspaper) has a public bulletin board that's had
traffic asking and reporting about Tulane departments (among, of
course, lots of other postings). The material isn't threaded so you
may have to scroll through literally thousands of postings hoping that
the subject lines of what you're looking for stand out. The board for
Orleans Parish is:

http://www.nola.com/forums/townhall

According to the sources I've seen the area just beyond the far
western edge of the campus (corner of Willow and Broadway) has (or
had) a few feet of water but the area roughly bounded by Broadway,
Freret, Jefferson, and Magazine is (more or less) dry. The library
sits just off Freret unless it's been moved in the past few years.

FWIW: reports I'm getting (both from anonymous boards like the board I
cited above, and from some contacts within the city) indicate that
Tulane (and its next-door neighbor, Loyola) were spared the
floodwaters. There is obviously significant wind damage in the area,
but I'm getting inconsistent reports of the degree of damage on the
campus. I no longer have any direct contacts in the Library and my
indirect contacts haven't mentioned it.

Joe Morris (awaiting confirmation that my sister's house still exists)

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Another good source of information in
and about New Orleans is at http://wwl.com where they maintain forums
with open postings of people looking for loved ones. They were asking
people to use the accelerated indexes according to family name, etc
but posters seemed to just be putting notices everywhere on the board.
I tried going through it, reading the various postings yesterday, but
it was tough going, not only from the disorganized way the postings
appeared (I think the postings were appearing faster than the sysadmin
caretakers could re-arrange them) and emotionally (at least for me).
WWL Radio and WWL Television have been attempting to cover this 24
hours daily, but they did have to sign off for a few hours the other
night (coming back on the air at 5:30 AM) because of maintainence
needs. Use http://wwl.com for a direct video/audio feed 24/7 from
their newsroom. The usual technological pitfalls (bandwidth shortage)
is apparent. PAT]

Go to Next message: Joe Morris: "Re: Connecticut Man Sells Micrsoft Windows Source Code"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "DT to Upgrade Network, Launch 3G Service"
May be in reply to: Jim Burks: "New Orleans Phones Are All Out, Also"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page