TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Sid Ceasar and Phones in Comedy

Re: Sid Ceasar and Phones in Comedy

Wesrock@aol.com
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:40:30 EDT

In a message dated Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:01:57 -0700, Tim@Backhome.org writes:

> hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

>> letting it properly return. The man then made another call, this time
>> dialing only three digits. "Long Distance? Get me Walt Disney in
>> Hollywood!".

> Actually, that part was accurate around the LA area (or at least the
> suburban independents) in the 1950s. You dialed "0" for the local
> operator and "211" for the long distance operator.

Was this true in LA, which was still primarily step at this time?
Most predominantly step cities used "110" for the Long Distance
operator.

Predominantly panel type cities (including those that had some
crossbar mixed in by this time) used "211."

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

Go to Next message: mc: "Re: Dear comp.dcom.telecom Readers"
Go to Previous message: Tim@Backhome.org: "Re: Long Distance = 211 (was Sid Ceasar and Phones)"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Sid Ceasar and Phones in Comedy"