TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: History of Phone Billing

History of Phone Billing

Michael Hyman (mhyman@yahoo.com)
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:18:54 -0700

Hi,

I am looking for information on pre-computer and early computer
toll/call billing systems.

Does anyone have a good site or reference?

Also, information on early call detail reporting/recording systems.

Does anyone have a good site or reference?

Thanks,

Michael

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: At the time my grandmother died, we
found among her possessions a _typewritten_ bill from Southwestern
Bell Telephone Company dated in 1938. I know of no reason why she was
saving it; there was nothing we noted unusual about it. In 1938, she
and my grandfather lived in Coffeyville, KS. Nice letterhead stationary,
with the AT&T corporate logo (bell in circle) and the phrase Southwestern
Bell Telephone Company at a local address in Coffeyville. Her phone
number was '309'. She as asked to return the bottom part of the page,
(below the perforation) with her payment for the month. Her 'subscription'
(as it was called) to service was three dollars and some change. PAT]

Go to Next message: mc: "Re: Book Review: "Spam Kings", Brian McWilliams"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "Free Wi-Fi at T-Mobile HotSpot Locations in Louisiana,"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: History of Phone Billing"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page