TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Alltel/AT&T/Cingular in Oklahoma City Market Area

Re: Alltel/AT&T/Cingular in Oklahoma City Market Area

Dan Lanciani (ddl@danlan.com)
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 04:18:18 EDT

dcstar@myrealbox.com (David Clayton) wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:52:38 -0400, Wesrock wrote:

>> A Cingular spokesman responded by saying that the company does not
>> condone the practice.

>> "We do not unlock phones, nor do we recommend that people get their
>> phones unlocked," spokesman Frank Merriman said. "That's not something
>> that we authorize or perform. If they circumvent the system it can cause
>> problems. We make no guarantees about the performance of their phones."

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Of course Cingular would not 'condone'
>> any practice which did not serve to rip off their customers even more
>> than they have been already. So what else is old news? PAT]

> That "performance" statement has to be the biggest crock I've seen in
> quite a while, GSM is GSM is GSM, the whole concept of a standard is that
> all equipment that complies with it will interoperate.

So does Cingular do something active to block the use of "foreign" GSM
phones on its network or does it rely on such phones being
subsidy-locked to another provider's network?

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com

Go to Next message: Dave Garland: "Re: The Luncheon Meat Associated With Junk Email?"
Go to Previous message: Joseph: "Re: Alltel/AT&T/Cingular in Oklahoma City Market Area"
May be in reply to: Wesrock@aol.com: "Alltel/AT&T/Cingular in Oklahoma City Market Area"