TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: The Luncheon Meat Associated With Junk Email?

Re: The Luncheon Meat Associated With Junk Email?

John Hines (jbhines@newsguy.com)
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:23:18 -0500

John Hines <jbhines@newsguy.com> wrote:

> hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

>> Regards the use of the term 'spam' for unwanted email, my impression
>> has always been that Hormel treats it like a joke.

> No, they have a policy these days, in summary, the word 'spam' has
> been added to the English vocabulary, while 'Spam' is still a
> registered trademark, and is to be used only in reference to their
> (Hormel AFAIK) product.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: All well and good, but how does one
> pronounce an upper case /S/ differently than a lower case /s/ in order
> to avoid violating any trademarks? Perhaps in verbalizing it we
> could refer to 'upper Spam' and 'lower spam' but somehow I think
> that would be even more confusing; it would make it come out
> sounding like a country in Asia or something. PAT]

Context, are we talking food or email? Or use more words ("Hormel
Spam", "Spam luncheon meat", etc) in cases where there could be doubt.

How about using "Spam the ham"? <G>

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Then how would we deal with Spam King?
Does it refer to an experienced and effective spammer, or to some
fancy variation on the meat used in luncheon sandwhiches? PAT]

Go to Next message: William Warren: "Re: Don't Forget Peter Jennings'... Flaw"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: The Luncheon Meat Associated With Junk Email?"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "The Luncheon Meat Associated With Junk Email?"