TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: An Exciting Weekend With a Sneak Thief

Re: An Exciting Weekend With a Sneak Thief

J Kelly (jkelly@*newsguy.com)
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 19:10:44 -0500

A few months back some dirtbag got ahold of my debit card number. No
idea how. They debit $500 to a poker website. I caught it within 24
hours and had the bank to a hot card. I was told that FDIC rules
require the bank to CLOSE an account in which any of the imformation
is known to have been compromised. I'm curious why they didn't close
your account, especially since physical checks were stolen.

Of course, if they did, and you opened a new account the info would be
compromised as soon as you write a new check.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The sneak thief got two of my
_original_ boxes of checks, numbered 101 through 125 and 126 through
150. They had never been opened, since it is very rare that I ever
write a manual check. The guy did not get my debit card or any
access to my bank account otherwise. The bank manager simply noted
my account 'no manual checks ever written on this account' and said
she would watch my account for a few days in case Walmart (or some
other store of that ilk) had gotten a check. No word on that yet, so
maybe they did not take a check, since the thief would have not had
any of my identification anyway, which Walmart (hopefully) would have
insisted on but local merchants probably would not have required since
so many of them know me and the missing checks _were_ imprinted with
my address and phone number (but not my SSN). PAT]

Go to Next message: DevilsPGD: "Re: An Exciting Weekend With a Sneak Thief"
Go to Previous message: George Berger: "Re: More on Verizon FioS Requirements"
May be in reply to: TELECOM Digest Editor: "An Exciting Weekend With a Sneak Thief"