TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Not so Fast! 'xxx' Startup Put on Hold

Re: Not so Fast! 'xxx' Startup Put on Hold

Mark Crispin (mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU)
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:20:10 -0700

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, TELECOM Digest Editor noted in response to
Mark Crispin:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Also see article on how substantially
> child porn is growing on the net elsewhere in this issue of the
> Digest. PAT]

And how, pray tell, would an .xxx TLD address the problem of child
pornography?

As far as I know, rumors to the contrary about certain Scandinavian
countries notwithstanding, child pornography is completely illegal
throughout the world. This is not "restricted" pornography which would
presumably go into an .xxx TLD; it is "prohibited pornography" which has
no legitimate home.

It is inaccurate and misleading to bring up the question of child
pornography in a serious discussion of whether or not an .xxx TLD is a
good idea.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The Editor's Note in question was
intended as a _cross reference_ on the topic of 'adult' web sites
which appeared in the same issue, no more, no less. And unless you
wish to be in denial (not all that uncommon I have found in many
Usenet newsgroups) child pornography -- legal or illegal not with-
standing, -- is a _major_ part of the overall 'adult web site' scene on
the net. The Editor's Note was not intended to either justify nor
disparage the use of .xxx and kiddie porn. I am sorry you jumped the
gun and made that association. PAT]

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Not so Fast! 'xxx' Startup Put on Hold"
Go to Previous message: Arthur H. Rotstein: "Arizona High School Trades Books for Laptops"
May be in reply to: News Wire: "Not so Fast! 'xxx' Startup Put on Hold"