TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Early Los Angeles Dialing and Network Management

Re: Early Los Angeles Dialing and Network Management

Steven Lichter (shlichter@diespammers.com)
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:57:12 GMT

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> The Bell System history tells that they recognized the traffic of big
> cities would not fit on Step-by-Step switching because of the switch's
> limited decimal choices. Panel switching was developed to give more
> flexibility and choices in city service.

> However, Los Angeles remained Step by step because the Bell System
> inherited existing exchanges. The history says despite things like
> graded multiples network mgmt in LA proved difficult, but they did not
> elaborate.

> I know Bell Labs developed SxS add-ons in the 1960s and 1970s to
> improve SxS functionality, but that was much later. An early short
> haul toll itemized message accounting system was developed for LA.

> As Los Angeles turned into a big city (1950s?), how did the Bell
> System handle inter-exchange traffic within the limits of an SxS
> switch? Did they rely on tandems? Did they have to overtrunk at high
> expense? Did they put in No 5 Crossbar when it came out?

> Thanks.

> [public replies, please]

I believe they started using digit absorbing switches and directors
which did translations, so say you dialed a short hall number it would
drop back into the local switch, or to a trunk for another office, if
it were long distance it might go to a tandem. They as GTE did would
rearrange trunking for what was called the busy season.

The only good spammer is a dead one!! Have you hunted one down today?
(c) 2005 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot in Hell Co.

Go to Next message: Mark Crispin: "Re: Not so Fast! 'xxx' Startup Put on Hold"
Go to Previous message: bv124@aol.com: "Re: Telephone Exchange Usage in Low-Volume States"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Early Los Angeles Dialing and Network Management"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page