TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Bad Customer Service (was: FSK Signal For Voicemail on MCI)

Re: Bad Customer Service (was: FSK Signal For Voicemail on MCI)
17 Aug 2005 19:50:09 GMT

In article <>, Fred Atkinson
<> wrote:

> I've long since lost count of how many times customer service and even
> technical support people have given me bad information. It's really
> pretty sad.

> The telephone, cable, and other high tech companies are hiring lost
> cost people due to the state of the economy over the last few years.
> A number of experienced people have been practically unable to get a
> position during this time. They are told they are 'overqualified'
> when they apply. But, the folks they hire are underqualified. And
> they don't do an adquate job of training the ones they do hire. The
> truth is, these companies don't want to pay for experience right now.

Sad, but true.

Yesterday I helped an elderly woman restore access to her dial-up MSN
account. It seems it just stopped connecting one day recently, and she
couldn't figure out why.

The MSN support person told her she needed to re-install Windows XP.

It turned out that the real problem was that her dialing sequence had
*70 prepended to disable call-waiting, and she had stopped carrying
call-waiting on her service. Dialing *70 just got the standard "Your
call cannot be completed as dialed" message.

John Meissen

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: _Thank you_ for doing the right thing
and helping that elderly lady get her service restarted. She most
likely now thinks of you as a hero for helping her as you did, and I
appreciate it also. For those of us who have _some_ understanding and
abilities with computers, between the worms, other viruses and spam/scam,
these machines are really no longer fun to use. Imagine how people
like your elderly friend -- who probably knows much less than many of
us -- must feel when their computers are repeatedly attacked. I make
no bones about it; the task of getting this Digest out a few times
each day is tiring, given my brain aneuerysm. But like the elderly
lady you helped, I also have a couple of very good friends (I think of
them as my 'tech support staff') who are quite patient with me when I
get threatened, as I did this past week with the virus in Internet
Explorer. (More than likely it was just the profile which got pretty
well trounced.)When I get frantic trying to clear those messes, these
guys very patiently walk me through how to repair the damage, etc.

Go to Next message: Charles Cryderman: "Re: Classic Six Button KeySets - Additional Lines in Europe"
Go to Previous message: Neal McLain: "Re: Telephone Exchange Usage in Low-Volume States"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page