TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Telephone Exchange Usage in Low-Volume States

Re: Telephone Exchange Usage in Low-Volume States

John Levine (johnl@iecc.com)
16 Aug 2005 05:13:46 -0000

> 1) Traditional party line service, since it's not worth the cost to
> upgrade lines out to people's farms?

I doubt it. Private lines make moves and changes and maintenance
vastly cheaper. My relatives who are trying to sell their small rural
telco in Vermont converted everything to private lines years ago. For
the few people who still have grandfathered party lines, they tie the
lines together at the CO.

> 2) Five digit dialing in some areas not well populated or served by
> community dial offices?

Not since 1+7D went away. I think these days you'll find that CDOs
are all remotes from modern switches that provide all of the digital
bells and whistles. They certainly are around here.

Remember that due to the magic of USF accounting, small rural telcos
have an incentive to gold plate their plant. That's why the CO down
the street from me has a GTD-5 with two remotes that handles a total
of about 10,000 lines.

R's,

John

Go to Next message: Joseph: "Re: Telephone Exchange Usage in Low-Volume States"
Go to Previous message: jared: "Re: Telephone Exchange Usage in Low-Volume States"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Telephone Exchange Usage in Low-Volume States"