TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Classic Six-Button Keysets - Cost During 1970s?

Re: Classic Six-Button Keysets - Cost During 1970s?

Bob Vaughan (techie@tantivy.tantivy.net)
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 02:31:32 UTC

In article <telecom24.368.10@telecom-digest.org>, Robert Bonomi
<bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com> wrote:

> In article <telecom24.367.8@telecom-digest.org>,
> <hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote:

>> Back in the 1970s, a standard fixture in almost every business (and
>> even in some wealthy homes) was a key telephone. This has six buttons
>> along the time so that the phone could handle more than one outside
>> line, intercom lines, and HOLD function. I was wondering what basic
>> key systems cost in the 1970-1975 time frame.

> Commonly known as a "1A2" system.

There was an earlier version known as 1A1, and apparently a 1A, 2A, and 2B
before that.

The 1A1 units that I have seen, were built as a complete unit, where
the 1A2 systems were modular, using plug in cards for the various
features. I have no information on 1A, 2A, or 2B systems.

>> From what I saw, the pricing was a la carte--every little feature was
>> a charge. One large organization did not bother with line lamps to
>> save money. The "wink-hold" feature, where the line lamp blinked
>> slowly when the line was on-hold, was optional. I never saw a system
>> without a HOLD button, but apparently even that was optional. (I
>> believe later systems, such as ComKey had package prices).

> The button itself, and the mechanical actions related there were universal.
> whether the back-end equipment recognized 'hold' and kept the circuit busy
> was the 'optional' part. Took some additional cards in the card cage.

The phones could be wired up without a KSU, and would operate as a
regular phone, without lights, or hold. The ringers in the phones were
wired to a dedicated pair, and could be strapped to any line, or to
multiple lines via a diode matrix.

The basic KSU had a power supply for the lamps, and a line card for
each line, which handled the hold function, lamp control, and ring
indication. The basis line card was a type 400. Lamp voltage was
normally 10vac.

The wink-on-hold feature required an interruptor, which plugged in to
the KSU, and provided the pulsed lamp voltage for lines on hold. This
was normally powereed by the 10vac lamp supply, although other
voltages were available.

I worked at a radio station where all the lamps, and interuptors were