TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Appeals Court Ruling Revives Case of Intercepted E-Mail

Re: Appeals Court Ruling Revives Case of Intercepted E-Mail

John Levine (johnl@iecc.com)
14 Aug 2005 01:21:29 -0000

> It seems to me that they're using the wrong law. Doesn't the
> Electronic Communications Privacy Act have provisions prohibiting
> email providers from looking at customers' mail, except as needed to
> provide the service (e.g. server administrators sometimes have to look
> at mail to diagnose problems)? Why are they using the a wiretapping
> statute, when he didn't actually intercept anything on the wire?

The ECPA is part of the wiretap law. If you're interested in this,
why not read the decision, which is not all that long, rather than
guessing about what the parties were trying to do.

R's,

John

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Appeals Court Ruling Revives Case of Intercepted E-Mail"
Go to Previous message: Michael D. Sullivan: "Re: Appeals Court Ruling Revives Case of Intercepted E-Mail"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Appeals Court Ruling Revives Case of Intercepted E-Mail"