TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: The Wired Are A Rude Bunch

Re: The Wired Are A Rude Bunch

Steven Lichter (shlichter@diespammers.com)
Mon, 08 Aug 2005 01:12:50 GMT

Monty Solomon wrote:

> by Fahmida Y. Rashid

> While technology, such as cell phones, e-mail and instant messaging,
> have in many ways made life easier, these same devices may make users
> lazy and oblivious to their surroundings. The constant pressure on
> workers to be accessible means manners often take a backseat. In
> consumer circles, lots of people apparently believe that because they
> can take or make a phone call, they should.

> In a recent national poll by market research group Synovate, 68% of
> Americans claimed to observe poor cell phone etiquette at least once
> per day. Eighteen percent said they ran into poor e-mail etiquette.
> The study noted that the Americans showed the poorest etiquette when
> using the very devices they rely on the most (52% said they would
> "die" if their phones and e-mails were taken away).

> "Poor tech etiquette is something most of us don't really think about
> as we pick up our cell phones or send an e-mail," said Steve Levine,
> senior vice president at Synovate.

> The survey results follow on the heels of a marketing push by a
> company called Moderati, which sells ring tones, cell phone wallpaper
> and ring-back tones. The company claims that "nothing says 'I hate
> you' like a DisTone." A DisTone is a rather unfriendly greeting users
> assign to callers they want to avoid.

> http://www.forbes.com/technology/2005/07/28/technology-rudeness-wireless-cx_fr_0728rude.html

There was a letter to the editor in the Press-Enterprise here in
Riverside, Ca. today. Someone wrote about being hit by a shopping
card in a market here by a woman using her cell phone, the person took
it away and shut it off, then the lady called the party she was taking
to and said that SHE had been interrupted by a rude person.

About 5 years ago I was working in Las Vegas and was in a supermarket
and was leaning down to get something from the frozen foods section
when I was knocked to the floor, I got up the woman was pushing her
cart and talking, she never even know she had hit me, that one was not
as lucky, I got up, took the phone from her and smashed it on the
floor, she went nuts, but other pointed out that she had run me down
and kept going, would that be considered hit and run?

The only good spammer is a dead one!! Have you hunted one down today?
(c) 2005 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot in Hell Co.

Go to Next message: John Levine: "Re: How Do I Find GSM Coverage in the US?"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "Re: Princeton University Goes Digital - The Wrong Way"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "The Wired Are A Rude Bunch"