TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Use of a Mysterious Cookie Irks Some Internet Users

Re: Use of a Mysterious Cookie Irks Some Internet Users

Steve Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:50:26 -0700

news.rsvl.unisys.com wrote:

> Monty Solomon <monty@roscom.com> wrote in message

>> By DAVID KESMODEL THE WALL STREET JOURNAL ONLINE

>> Earlier this summer, Uno Bloom, a songwriter in Brentwood, Tenn.,
>> noticed that his home computer appeared to be slowing down. He
>> searched the files on his hard drive in an effort to uncover clutter,
>> and found dozens of Internet cookies labeled "2o7.net."

> Maybe I'm being dim, but I don't see how cookies will make a system slow
> down appreciably.

Well, Spybot detects 2o7.net tracking cookies as spyware. Maybe Uno
Bloom was mistaking cookies for spyware.

I think that the effect of a website storing cookies on your computer
is typically blown way out of proportion by the press and much of the
computer industry.

Of course, I do still block cookies from netshelter.net, 2o7.net,
advertising.com and several other similar companies that try to put
them on my computer because I don't think there's any great need for
anyone to be tracking which banner ads I've been shown. (I know they'd
disagree.) :)

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307

Go to Next message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Nextel False Advertising"
Go to Previous message: Steven Lichter: "Re: Apple to Add Trusted Computing to the New Kernel?"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Use of a Mysterious Cookie Irks Some Internet Users"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page