TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Residents Fight to Keep Analog Cell Phones

Re: Residents Fight to Keep Analog Cell Phones

Joseph (JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com)
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:38:40 -0700

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 03:40:34 -0700, Tim@Backhome.org wrote:

> As to Cingular I don't believe they have an analog fallback option in
> their system. It might be down to Verizon now and I suspect they have
> plans to cut away from that, but are being held back by GM's old
> analog-based OnStar system.

Cingular most certainly does have analog AMPS in the areas that they
had TDMA/AMPS or in the areas that they acquired by acquiring AT&T
Wireless. The only areas where Cingular didn't originally have AMPS
analog backup were the areas such as California/Nevada and the
Carolinas which were GSM from the outset. That's moot anyway since
Cingular absorbed AT&T Wireless and the systems that they used. AT&T
Wireless used all three technologies AMPS analog, TDMA (IS-136) and
GSM. Cingular of course is making every effort to transition all to
the "orange" side (original Cingular) and to make the "blue" side
(originally AT&T Wireless) to have all customers eventually be on the
orange side. Cingular and the former AT&T Wireless (now Cingular
blue) both use TDMA IS-136 and AMPS analog in addition to GSM.

Go to Next message: Consumer News: "Norvergence Forfeits $47 Million to FTC"
Go to Previous message: AES: "Re: Regarding Local Government Offering Wireless ISP"
May be in reply to: Chet Brokaw: "Residents Fight to Keep Analog Cell Phones"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page