TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Ethics of Deterrence

Re: Ethics of Deterrence

Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu)
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:08:42 -0400

In article <telecom24.335.14@telecom-digest.org>, Steve Sobol
<sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

> It's trivially easy for someone to put an URL of a website I own into
> a spam.

> And if you attack my website in response, and I had nothing to do with
> the original spam, you will have law enforcement knocking on your
> door.

Did you miss the part where they say that they send a warning first?
If you've been framed by the spammer, you'll have a chance to let them
know that it was a forgery. This should hopefully forestall the
attack.

Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Yes, it will stop the whole one-for-one
complaint process. They look for any possible reason to _not_ start
the robots going, not the other way around. You can come back to them
with complete denial (and start them investigating further) or you can

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Ethics of Deterrence"
Go to Previous message: jmeissen@aracnet.com: "Re: Spam Fighting Technique Fought by Some Netizens"
May be in reply to: Eren Reshef: "Ethics of Deterrence"