TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: VoIP Intercom?

Re: VoIP Intercom?

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com)
Sat, 23 Jul 2005 01:05:29 -0000

In article <telecom24.335.8@telecom-digest.org>, Scott Dorsey
<kludge@panix.com> wrote:

> We have a number of stations, some of them in the same building on a
> single ethernet switch, and some of them in another building somewhere
> else in the world but with internet or intranet connections to that
> switch.

> These stations need to be linked with an intercom, using external
> hardware. This should act like a party line, where one unit can press
> a talk button and be heard on all the other units.

> Selective calling features or multiple channels would be nice, but not
> essental. There will be fewer than ten total units in place.

> Does anyone have any suggestion for a device that does this as a
> simple standalone device, preferably with minimum configuration? I
> know Telex makes some VOIP modules which can be integrated with their
> intercom frames, but they all seem to require a central switch.

This should be almost trivially easy to roll your own -- around an
IP-enabled micro-controller (something only a little smarter than a
Basic STAMP(tm), and using IP multicast.

Go to Next message: jmeissen@aracnet.com: "Re: Spam Fighting Technique Fought by Some Netizens"
Go to Previous message: Daniel AJ Sokolov: "Re: VoIP Intercom?"
May be in reply to: Scott Dorsey: "VoIP Intercom?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page