TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Muzzling the Muppets/Bush Wants PBS to Toe Republican Line

Re: Muzzling the Muppets/Bush Wants PBS to Toe Republican Line

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:17:12 -0400

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com says:

> Monty Solomon wrote:

>> As head of the board that doles out $400 million in federal funds for
>> public broadcasting, Tomlinson is actually required by law to provide
>> PBS and NPR with "maximum protection from extraneous influence and
>> control" by meddling politicians.

> I don't want any political interference in PBS.

> Unfortunately, IMHO, some PBS programming was politically biased
> reflecting left-aisle attitudes and did not present a balanced
> viewpoint. For example, their series on New York City focused heavily
> on the lowest social station and gave short-shrift or a even negative
> view to the wealthy and business community. A more balanced
> presentation would've focused on reasons factories and the middle
> class left the city in the 1950s. All the show did was simply blame
> them for the troubles the people in the city had during those years.
> The story of the poor and disenfranchised is important, but the
> stories and concerns of the middle class and business community are
> important too.

Just finished reading Levin's "Freakonomics". There are two things
that stood out.

First -- that we need to provide unfettered access to abortion. The
tinkering with abortion we do now will directly correlate to a rise of
crime in 10 or so years.

Second -- we need to take care of those in need. Otherwise it comes
back to bite us in the ass.

Go to Next message: John McHarry: "Re: Muzzling the Muppets/Bush Wants PBS to Toe Republican Line"
Go to Previous message: News Wire: "More Music Industry Complaints"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Muzzling the Muppets/Bush Wants PBS to Toe Republican Line"