TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Who Really Controls Internet?

Re: Who Really Controls Internet?

John Levine (johnl@iecc.com)
17 Jul 2005 11:14:05 -0000

> The root nameserver configuration is one of the last of the informal
> things left over from the early days of the internet. I don't know
> how long that will last, but I don't think passing it over to ICANN is
> a good thing any more than allowing government control would be.

Having just returned from the ICANN meeting in Luxembourg, I can say
that the root server operators understand exactly what's going on, and
they have no interest in being controlled by anyone. They are also in
a uniquely powerful position since switching to other roots would both
be very expensive (the apparent 13 roots are actually over 100 servers
spread around the world) and would require reconfiguring every other
nameserver on the entire Internet, which ain't gonna happen.

R's,

John

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Luxembourg? Is that where they are on
vacation now? I thought they just got back from a trip to Argentina.
What a real laugh (no, actually very sad) that organization ICANN is.
Is MCI footing the bill for all these international vacations Vint
Cerf and Esther Dyson and others go on several times per year, or are
they still getting money they extort from internet users who think
ICANN is somehow going to help them protect their sites against spam
and viruses? PAT]

Go to Next message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Camelot on the Moon - From Our Archives"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "Re: Who Really Controls Internet?"
May be in reply to: Andrew Kantor: "Who Really Controls Internet?"