TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Who Really Controls Internet?

Re: Who Really Controls Internet?

Scott Dorsey (kludge@panix.com)
15 Jul 2005 09:21:19 -0400

Andrew Kantor <usa-today@telecom-digest.org> wrote:

> What's important is that _he who controls the root nameservers
> controls the traffic on the Internet._ And right now that's the
> government of the U.S. of A. (Cue patriotic music.)

I think you'll be surprised how little the US government does control
the root nameservers, as well as how little ICANN controls them.

The root nameserver configuration is one of the last of the informal
things left over from the early days of the internet. I don't know
how long that will last, but I don't think passing it over to ICANN is
a good thing any more than allowing government control would be.

--scott

I liked the internet better when Mr. Postel ran it.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: So did I ... so did most people. But
then Postel passed away, and that greedy lawyer in Washington, DC
made up a bogus statement about Postel's intentions in the whole
matter. PAT]

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Who Really Controls Internet?"
Go to Previous message: SELLCOM Tech support: "Re: Some Businesses Say E-Bay Starting to Slip"
May be in reply to: Andrew Kantor: "Who Really Controls Internet?"