TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Don't Let Data Theft Happen to You

Re: Don't Let Data Theft Happen to You

Jim Rusling (usenet@rusling.org)
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:15:38 -0500

Gary Novosielski <gpn@suespammers.org> wrote:

> Wesrock@aol.com wrote:

>> Apparently you would not be able to use your credit or debit card in a
>> restaurant then, since they require you give them the card to swipe at
>> a location out of your sight.

> Having recently spent a few weeks in France, I noticed a practice that
> would solve this problem completely. It seems now to be the standard
> method of operation at all restaurants from the trendy "gastronomique"
> places (with prices astronomique) to the neighborhood "steak/frit"
> joints.

> When paying with a credit card, the server brings a small wireless
> terminal directly to the table. It looks just like a compact adding
> machine, with a paper roll on the back, but with a card slot on the
> front, where you insert your card. If it's a debit card, you key your
> PIN on the keypad. The receipts are printed right from the same
> device, and the card never leaves your possession.

> If devices like this were used in the states, you could presumably
> also use the keypad to add a tip amount to the check. (In France,
> where service is included, tips are a rarity, and when offered at all
> are invariably in cash.)

I would worry about the security of the wireless connection.

Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Mustang, OK
http://www.rusling.org

Go to Next message: John McHarry: "Re: Non-Bell ESS?"
Go to Previous message: Joseph: "Re: Don't Let Data Theft Happen to You"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "Don't Let Data Theft Happen to You"