TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: New Microsoft Patches Already Getting Exploited

Re: New Microsoft Patches Already Getting Exploited

Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu)
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:37:34 -0400

In article <telecom24.321.1@telecom-digest.org>, News Wire
<reuters@telecom-digest.org> wrote:

> Microsoft warns of software flaws in Word, Windows.

> Microsoft Corp. warned users on Tuesday of three new security flaws in
> its Windows and Word software and issued patches to fix the flaws,
> which could allow attackers to take over a computer system.

Who came up with the Subject line of the message? The article says
that it's the *flaws* that are being exploited. The Subject line says
that the *patches* are being exploited, implying that there are
problems with the patches. That's the exact opposite of the claim --
the patches protect users from the exploits.

Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But people do not usually say 'the
flaws are being exploited', or maybe they do, as a form of verbal
shorthand. I think they usually say in this instance, 'the code
is being exploited because of the flaws in it.' Same difference
IMO, just phrasing it differently. PAT]

Go to Next message: Alan Burkitt-Gray, London SE3, UK: "Re: Don't Let ID Fraud Happen to You."
Go to Previous message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Well,Duh Re: Mixing Blogging With Work Can Lead to Unemployment"
May be in reply to: News Wire: "New Microsoft Patches Already Getting Exploited"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page