TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Non-Bell ESS?

Re: Non-Bell ESS?

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
12 Jul 2005 12:11:16 -0700

Diamond Dave wrote:

> The software problem you're referring to was the infamous crash of the
> AT&T long distance network in 1990 when a software upgrade was applied
> to the over 100 AT&T/Western Electric #4ESS long-haul tandems in the
> US. It brought down most if not all the #4ESS switches to a screeching
> halt for the better part of a day.

No, that's not the one I'm thinking of.

I'm very sure it was a non Western Electric switch. It was made in
Plano Tx (forgot the maker's name) and it was used for local calls.

A odd sequence of errors would create a condition that was not checked
and the switch would go into a loop and freeze up. This happened at
the same time in a number of cities -- apparently the cause
circumstances were common at a certain time of day.

I found it in the archives. Here it is: