TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Non-Bell ESS?

Re: Non-Bell ESS?

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 16:53:26 -0400

dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com says:

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I know from my personal experience that
>> Illinois Bell had ESS in the Wabash office in downtown Chicago in
>> 1974, along with the Superior office on the near north side the same
>> year. But I think they were just the first editions or versions of
>> that type of switch. PAT]

> The Western Electric #1ESS was invented in 1965, with the upgrade
> #1AESS invented in 1976. These were analog switches with computer
> control (and in my opinion, glorified crossbar switches with reed
> relays).

> Others, as I've mentioned before, came out with their fully digital
> switches before Western Electric came out with their fully digital end
> office switch (the #5 ESS) in 1982.

Actually WE came out with #4 ESS in the mid 70's. Of course the 4 was
a toll class switch, but it was a truly electronic switch.

Go to Next message: fgoodwin: "Re: Bell Usage of IBM Computers For Switching"
Go to Previous message: Lisa Minter: "Broadband Use Jumps 34 Percent in USA According to FCC"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Non-Bell ESS?"