TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: DO NOT! DO NOT Use Cingular Go Phone

DO NOT! DO NOT Use Cingular Go Phone

shwekhaw (zaw@1stuniverse.com)
2 Jul 2005 15:05:53 -0700

DO NOT USE CINGULAR GO PHONE!! I had a lot of problems with GO Phone
and know another two people who are getting ripped off.

I bought the phone early June 2005. They told me no roaming charges
free long distance and I pay just 10 cent a minute and $1 on a day I
use the phone. So I bought it from my TX home. Then I visited to CA
and I could not use the phone. I tried calling my friend with cingular
plan who was sitting next to me. His phone rang but got disconnected
right after he answered. It said "check service status" even though
signal was very strong. I tried several times sine I pay nothing if I
call within cingular network. Guess what! They charged me $1.30 for
every try I made even though connection did not last one
second. Basically I could not use the phone the whole time i was
visiting there. It was so much trouble.

When I called customer service they are very rude. They told me I
could not use the phone anymore since my $25 balance was
depleted. They ignored the fact that the balance was depleted due to
overcharges and not bother looking into it the problem. I had to call
customer service several times (at least 5 times) hoping somebody will
notice the problem. I was told that technician will look into it and
call me back. And they never call me back!

Finally I called again and talked to supervisor directly (I had to beg
to talk to supervisor). I obtained detail billing and calculated total
charges which is not summing up to the balance I added. When I point
this out, she, who was in total denial about their problems, said it
was just a glitch in their system and agreed to make balance
adjustment. A glitch! A glitch that took away $25 balance was not
noticeable to several people in customer service department! Were they
just trained how to ignore their problem and how to make customers
miserable.

I cannot return the phone since it is over 30 days now so I am stuck
with the phone. They still not acknowledging the problem that I cannot
use the phone in CA even though I should be able to according to their
plan description. Be aware guys. If you are patient and can spend a
lot of time calling customer service to get your money back, you are
sure to lose your money with this Cingular plan.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: You could have been telling my story. I
have _two_ Cingular phones; the one works okay with an _Independence,
KS_ 620-330 number. The other phone is a former AT&T (now Cingular
Prepaid phone I think it is called 'Free to Go'.) Both phones are the
older digital Nokia 5165 phones, the difference is only that one is
prepaid via AT&T, the other is a 'regular' cell phone. Starting Friday,
the prepaid phone quit fuctioning. It has a Wichita KS 316-841 number
on it, with, I might add, twenty dollars in credit. Cingular customer
service, which appears to be located in India these days, absolutely
insisted I could not have a prepaid wireless phone since they had no
wireless coverage in my area. They said "as soon as you get back in
the Wichita area, your phone will start working again." I asked them
if that was so, then (if the towers could not reach me) why wasn't
voice mail kicking in to take the messages? They just kept repeating
their stupid answer: because we have no service in your area. I
finally said 'being an ignorant ##*@ based in your native land
somewhere, you probably would not know much about our cell phones
here.' They had just a few minutes earlier taken a twenty five dollar
payment from my credit card. Those Cingular/AT&T/SBC customer service
reps are so incredibly stupid it is beyond my comprehension. I said
well, if you do not have service in my area, then please arrange to
refund the twenty dollars you just now took on my account. And
wouldn't you know it, the sweet dear little Indian lady who referred
to herself as 'employee ID 627' insisted 'we do not give any refunds
on prepaid service'. You will this time, I told her, Small Claims
Court here in Montgomery County is just four block down the street
from my house, and I do not have to sue you in California or Texas
or India or wherever, _I just sue your local resale agent here in
Independence_. Hopefully your superiors will screw up and not make
any response to the suit. She finally came up with a post office
box address (no phone nor fax nor email address available) for some
entity called 'Cingular Free to Go' in Anaheim Hills, CA and I fired
off a letter to them yesterday making demand for the return of my
money _or_ preferably, a working phone with my 316-841 number since
someone else told me the only service they will now initiate in
620 is GSM. I will tell you, if Ignorance was Bliss, then Cingular
customer service people would be the happiest in the world. PAT]