TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Hayes Smartmodems (was Re: Bell Divestiture)

Re: Hayes Smartmodems (was Re: Bell Divestiture)

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:23:48 -0400

In article <telecom24.286.3@telecom-digest.org>, TELECOM Digest Editor
noted in response to fatkinson@mishmash.com:

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I had a couple of Hayes Modems which
>> could be switched between pulse and tone dialing, and you could set
>> the 'speed' of the pulsing or the 'speed' of the tone signals. You
>> could make both modes go quite fast; with tone dialing so fast that
>> it was little more than just a single blip in your ear, and most
>> times it would work quite well. Only on occassion the modem would
>> give its short little blip or tone burst when dialing *before* the
>> line was set up to allow it, and you would have to redial, but
>> usually it worked okay. PAT]

> I had a Hayes 300 modem when 1200 baud was considered astronomically
> fast. I kept it until I upgraded to a Hayes 2400 baud modem. I think
> both of them are still in one of my goody boxes put away, for all the
> good they'll be to me now.

> I had become very familar with the Smartmodem when it first came out.
> I was working for MCI at the time. One day, we got a phone call from
> a salesman who was at one of our customer sites. This customer had
> several MCI long distance lines hooked up to his PBX. The salesman
> had sold them a Smartmodem 1200 but was unable to make it work through
> the PBX. When the customer mentioned the MCI lines, the salesman
> pointed the finger at MCI.

> So the customer called and put the salesman on the phone with one of
> our people. That person just happened to know I knew a lot about the
> Smartmodem and transfered the salesman to me.

> I got him to describe the setup. Then I asked him how he was making
> it dial. He told me that he was typing in 'ATD9,' and then the area
> code and the number.

> I knew immediately what was wrong when he said that. I told him to
> try typing in 'ATDT9,' and the area code and the number. He took this
> attitude that how could a telephone technician know anything about a
> Smartmodem.

> I asked him what he had to lose by trying it. So, finally, he did.

> I heard him typing, then I heard the dial tone from the Smartmodem,
> then I heard it outpulse digit 9 in DTMF. I then heard secondary
> dialtone and then the area code and number outpulsed in DTMF.

> Then, I heard the distant modem answer, the local modem respond in
> carrier, and then the speaker went silent.

> I then heard the salesman shout, 'IT WORKS'. Then he came back to the
> telephone. His voice was showing that he was very embarrassed.

> I knew I was going to laugh out loud, so I needed to get off the phone
> quickly. I told him I was glad to help him and that he should call me
> back if he ever needed more help. Thank you and goodbye, so to speak.
> I laughed hysterically for several minutes after I got off the phone.

> The boss was very grateful. This was a customer we wanted to keep a
> very good relationship with. He thanked me very much.

> When Hayes designed the Smartmodem, they should have had the unit
> default to touch-tone instead of outpulsing rotor dialing by default.
> [...]

Actually it was ATD and ATDT if you wanted to be fussy. AT was the
attention grabber, followed by the command and then any parameters.

If I recall correctly you could set one of the S registers to a value
to default DTMF dialing on ATD.

Go to Next message: Thomas A. Horsley: "Re: 40 U.S. Senators Offer BiPartisan Data Breach Bill"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Hayes Smartmodems (was Re: Bell Divestiture)"
May be in reply to: Fred Atkinson: "Hayes Smartmodems (was Re: Bell Divestiture)"