TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: 'Phone Tapping' Modem Traffic ?

Re: 'Phone Tapping' Modem Traffic ?

John McHarry (jmcharry@comcast.net)
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 23:34:39 GMT

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 06:13:12 -0500, jg wrote:

> Hi,

> I believe my 'voice line' is being tapped [the line feeds through the
> 'opponents' switchboard].

> How difficult is it for them to 'decode' my modem [to ISP] traffic ?
> I'm guessing/hoping that my modem has to 'synchronise' with the ISP's
> in analog mode, so it's difficult for a '3rd' party to listen ?

> Is this right ?

I don't think it is difficult at all. The modems negotiate a speed
that will work over the link, but if the tap is getting as good a
signal as the end points, it should be no problem to listen in. Your
only hope would be to use some form of encryption with shared
secrets. You are not likely to have an ISP that supports that.

Go to Next message: Joseph: "Re: Bellsouth Caller ID"
Go to Previous message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Companies Subvert Search Results to Squelch Criticism"
May be in reply to: jg@earthlink.net: "'Phone Tapping' Modem Traffic ?"