TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Can Verizon Phone be Used With Bell Mobility in Canada?

Re: Can Verizon Phone be Used With Bell Mobility in Canada?

Joseph (JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com)
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 06:42:42 -0700

On 10 Jun 2005 15:09:40 -0700, aqabbas@yahoo.com wrote:

> Can a Verizon phone be used with Bell Mobility in Canada? I know they
> both use CDMA. I am specifialy interested in the Kyocera 7135.

It all depends on BM's policies. Many CDMA operators will not allow
you to use equipment (even if compatible) on their networks unless the
ESN of the handset is in their database. I believe BM's policy is to
not allow ESNs not in their database. I'm not sure if they do this to
be obstinate or if there's some other reason. CDMA and TDMA operators
are the only ones who do this. GSM operators don't care what
equipment you use on their networks and for the end user all they need
to know is that their handsets are not "SIM locked" i.e. the handsets
have not been prevented from using another SIM by locking out other
operator's SIMs.