TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Is There True Pay-as-You-Go Cellphone?

Is There True Pay-as-You-Go Cellphone?

Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu)
Thu, 09 Jun 2005 09:04:22 -0400

I have a cellphone, but I use it very infrequently -- maybe about 5
minutes a month. I bought a Virgin Mobile prepaid cellphone, but they
require that I purchase $20 of time every 90 days to keep it active.
So I have to spend nearly $7/mo when I use at most $2/mo.

Is there a cellphone plan closer to my needs?

Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: One plan I use myself for a
supplementary cell phone I have is Cingular Wireless (as they
inherited it from AT&T 'Free to Go' (the old AT&T prepaid plan). They
let you purchase a hundred dollars worth of prepaid time and it
never runs out, or maybe runs out after a year. For less than $100
the purchase increments run out every 90 days just as with your
existing service. Another reasonable plan is Alltel, which I do not
think has any expiry time on its prepaid minutes, although it is
bit more expensive per call. PAT]

Go to Next message: Telecom dailyLead from USTA: "BT D5DD Set to Launch Hybrid Phone"
Go to Previous message: Lisa Minter: "Walt Disney to Acquire Minds Eye TV Game Developer"
May be reply: John McHarry: "Re: Is There True Pay-as-You-Go Cellphone?"
May be reply: Joseph: "Re: Is There True Pay-as-You-Go Cellphone?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page