TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Schools Prohibit Personal E-mail Sites

Re: Schools Prohibit Personal E-mail Sites

Thor Lancelot Simon (tls@panix.com)
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 05:30:25 +0000 (UTC)

Gary Novosielski <gpn@suespammers.org> wrote:

> Fred Atkinson wrote:

>> Sorry to come down on you this hard, but limiting student access to
>> information simply because we think they don't 'need' access to it is
>> a pretty short sighted opinion for an educator to take.

> You're presuming that it's educators who are in favor of blocking
> technology, but I think that's jumping to an unsupported conclusion.

As both an educator and a student, I am, in fact, in favor of
"blocking technology". The last thing I need is students distracted
by more crap on their laptops while I'm lecturing -- and the last
thing I need, as a student, is more distraction. I'm always happy, in
either role. when I walk into a classroom, turn on my laptop, and
discover that there is no wireless network connectivity in that
particular room.

Thor Lancelot Simon tls@rek.tjls.com

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is
to be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem." - Noam Chomsky

Go to Next message: Thor Lancelot Simon: "Re: Coal, was From our Archives: History of Standard Oil and Bell"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Schools Prohibit Personal E-mail Sites"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Schools Prohibit Personal E-mail Sites"