TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: SBC to Cut High Speed Internet to $14.95 per Month

Re: SBC to Cut High Speed Internet to $14.95 per Month

Gordon S. Hlavenka (nospam@crashelex.com)
Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:01:10 -0500

> "What we find is if you sell DSL, the customer just doesn't churn,"
> said SBC Chief Operating Officer Randall Stephenson in an interview
> last week, referring to the rate of customer turnover.

> "Once you get them, you've got them," Stephenson added.

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: My past experiences with SBC have not
>> been at all favorable. They give you a lot of double-talk and their
>> bills are _very_confusing...]

I had SBC/Yahoo DSL for $27/mo. The way they did it was to bill me
$49/mo or something like that, with a "promotional credit". After a
year, my bill suddenly jumped -- the rate didn't "change", but that
promo credit went away.

So I called up and asked what I had to do to get the promo rate for
another year. I couldn't, they said -- that promotion was for new
customers only, and only if they signed up online.

So, I went online and signed up as a "new" customer on my second phone
line :-) Got the promo rate for another year, and as soon as it was up
and running I canceled the old one. I only had one month without the
promo discount. Of course the new account included a starter kit with a
set of filters, new Cisco router, etc. Since I already had all that
stuff I sold the second kit on eBay for almost $100.

This year they were a bit smarter: They sent me an email that basically
said "Click here to extend for a year at your existing rate" and so I
did that. I suppose I could have "churned" again, back to the first
line, and gotten another starter kit to sell on eBay ...

Gordon S. Hlavenka http://www.crashelectronics.com
Tragically, as many as 9625 out of every 10,000
individuals may be neurotypical

Go to Next message: Tim@Backhome.org: "Re: SBC to Cut High Speed Internet to $14.95 per Month"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: 25 cps Power, was: Tie Lines was Re: Foreign Exchange Lines"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "SBC to Cut High Speed Internet to $14.95 per Month"