TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: 25 Hz power Re: Tie Lines was Re: Foreign Exchange Lines

Re: 25 Hz power Re: Tie Lines was Re: Foreign Exchange Lines

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com)
Tue, 31 May 2005 09:35:12 -0000

In article <telecom24.239.5@telecom-digest.org>, <Wesrock@aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated Sat, 28 May 2005 09:37:57 -0000,
> bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) writes:

>>> When did they deliver AC at 25 cycles? I do recall some 50 cycle
>>> companies around that had to change after the end of WWII.

>> I don't know when the last 25-cycle power was phased out. Keokuk, Iowa,
>> had a 25-cycle hydroelectric plant -- driven by the Mississippi River,

> Doesn't Amtrak still have some 25 Hz power plants from its predecessor
> lines in the Northeast Corridor? Some locations have been converted
> to commercial power, some of them still owned and operated by Amtrak
> still provide 25 Hz.

Correct And there are some other private installations using 25-cycle
as well.

I was referring to _public_ power distribution at 25-cycle. Where that
was what you found at the outlet in your house, or office.

Reasonably common through the 1930s, at least. Best data I can find,
so far, *seems* to put end of public 25-cycle distribution somewhere
post-WWII to mid-1950s.

Go to Next message: Howard S. Wharton: "Re: 25 Hz Power Re: Tie Lines was Re: Foreign Exchange Lines"
Go to Previous message: AES: "Re: 25 cps Power, was: Tie Lines was Re: Foreign Exchange Lines"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page