TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: First Place, Web Promotion, Unsolicited Calls?

Re: First Place, Web Promotion, Unsolicited Calls?

Steve Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Wed, 25 May 2005 15:22:00 -0700

usenet@outshine.com wrote:

> Has anyone recently received an unsolicited call from someone
> representing "First Place?" They apparently make a Web promotion
> product. Any information at all would be helpful.

Yeah, feh ... can't remember which product First Place Software
publishes ... WebPosition Gold, maybe?

... No, it looks like WPG was bought by WebTrends.

Heh, but when I do a search on First Place Software, a sponsored link
to WPG comes up, so I guess I was right!

> Today I received an unsolicited call from them. The agent asked if I
> owned outshine.com and then told me he had a product that would help
> my site to make a lot of money. He asked me to open up a Web browser.
> Unfortunately, I didn't give him a chance to give me a URL.

> I told him to put me on his do not call list. He REFUSED. I asked
> for his name. He refused. I told him he was violating at least US
> law, and he needed to respond. He simply repeated, "don't you want to
> make money with your site?"

Idiots. Yup, WebTrends was the company that had a buggy log analysis
product and couldn't help me fix the many bugs I had over a period of
about eighteen months, and started sending me nastygrams about trademark
infringement when I registered WebTrendsSucks.com even though I had just
registered it, and never used it for email or a web site.

WebTrends is at 851 SW 6th Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97204. If you were
on the federal DNC list, the FTC can fine them for the violation. If
not, you may be able to sue them yourself under the 1991 Telephone
Consumer Protection Act. I would not advise doing anything, however,
unless you call a lawyer (except if you're going to file the DNC
violation with the FTC).

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

Go to Next message: Julian Thomas: "Re: Very Early Modems"
Go to Previous message: William Warren: "Re: Tangled up Over DSL - Some Cell Phone Users Demand to Stand"
May be in reply to: usenet@outshine.com: "First Place, Web Promotion, Unsolicited Calls?"