TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Psst: Traditional 911 Doesn't Always Work, Either

Psst: Traditional 911 Doesn't Always Work, Either

Jack Decker (jack-yahoogroups@withheld_on_request)
Wed, 25 May 2005 13:47:48 -0400

Quick, somebody let Mike Cox (our Michigan Attorney General) know
about this, so he can threaten a real phone company with a lawsuit
instead of picking on VoIP companies ...

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/63909

Psst: Traditional 911 Doesn't Always Work, Either Some think VoIP
carriers are getting a bad rap.

While the impression is there's been a rash of deaths thanks to bad
VoIP 911 connectivity, the truth is many of the "baby death" cases
(like this one http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/63372 ) are
more rhetoric than substance. An interesting discussion in our VoIP
forum http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,13491142 , on how
traditional 911 systems often fail (see Boston Herald
http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=84679
without so much as a peep from the FCC or Congress, who've jumped all
over VoIP.

Article + reader comments at:
http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/63909

How to Distribute VoIP Throughout a Home:
http://michigantelephone.mi.org/distribute.html

If you live in Michigan, subscribe to the MI-Telecom group: