TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Tangled up Over DSL - Some Cell Phone Users Demand to Stand

Tangled up Over DSL - Some Cell Phone Users Demand to Stand

Jack Decker (jack-yahoogroups@withheld_on_request)
Tue, 24 May 2005 09:58:32 -0400

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/3195270

Some Cell Phone Users Demand to Stand Alone

By JOHN C. ROPER
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

A growing number of U.S. consumers are cutting the cord on traditional
home telephone service, choosing instead to exclusively use cell
phones.

But many of these consumers have found ditching their land-line phone
service, and its accompanying cost, isn't possible if they want speedy
DSL, or digital subscriber line, Internet service in their homes.

Providers such as SBC Communications require customers to buy
residential phone service to have access to their broadband lines, a
tactic consumer advocacy groups say is unfair.

Full story at:
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/3195270

How to Distribute VoIP Throughout a Home:
http://michigantelephone.mi.org/distribute.html

If you live in Michigan, subscribe to the MI-Telecom group:

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I think I read somewhere -- maybe here
in the Digest -- where SBC was going to bite the bullet also and
begin offering 'naked DSL'. Fact or fiction? Personally, I would say
that _whenever possible_ people just ditch telco and go with cable
internet. PAT]

Go to Next message: Jack Decker: "Vonage's Jeffrey Citron on E911 and SBC's Reluctance to Help"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "Television Reloaded"
May be reply: Steven Lichter: "Re: Tangled up Over DSL - Some Cell Phone Users Demand to Stand"
May be reply: William Warren: "Re: Tangled up Over DSL - Some Cell Phone Users Demand to Stand"
May be reply: Don Bowey: "Re: Tangled up Over DSL - Some Cell Phone Users Demand to Stand"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page