TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Thinking About VOIP

Re: Thinking About VOIP

Lou Jahn (LouJahn@comcast.net)
Mon, 23 May 2005 09:22:24 -0400

William Cousert wrote:

> I'm thinking about subscribing to one of the many VOIP services
> (Vonage, Callvantage, etc.) and have a few questions.

> Are any of these good enough to replace a POTS line? I'll be using it
> over Verizon's new Fios service.

> Where can I find a comparison of all the available services? I did a
> quick google search and found nothing.

> Do any of the services offer a discounted rate for a second or third
> line?

> Lingo seems to offer the most for the least amount of money. Are they
> worth considering?

I have been a VoicePulse user for some 9 plus months. One thing I
noticed is unlike POTS, which provides duplex communications links
(meaning both ends can talk/hear at the same time), my VOIP is
simplex. This means if I start talking before the other side has
ended their speaking they hear nothing I've said. The biggest
disadvantage is noticed when participating in a conference calls, I
cannot say anything until ALL other callers are quiet, which is not
often. It causes me to carry the discussion back in time to add a
point others thought were finished.

Secondly, my experience with VoicePluse's tech support is not that
good; they often do not fully read an email stating the problem and
will respond asking for information already provided. The first time I
did not respond immediately since I had already given them the
requested information; they then declared the problem fixed even
though they took zero action to address it.

Overall, VOIP is fair to good, but I see it working only as an supplement
to normal POTS.

Lou Jahn
Info Partners Corp

Go to Next message: Klay Anderson: "Re: Thinking About VOIP"
Go to Previous message: Tim@Backhome.org: "Re: Thinking About VOIP"
May be in reply to: William Cousert: "Thinking About VOIP"