TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Thinking About VOIP

Re: Thinking About VOIP

Tim@Backhome.org
Sun, 22 May 2005 01:27:45 -0700

I have been a Vonage subscriber for just over two years in my
residence for home-office and personal long distance use. I also
retained one SBC wireline phone as our residential incoming line.

Based on my experience I would not consider replacing my primary
wireline service with either VOIP or wireless.

The Vonage is good, but it does go down on occasion, whether from
Vonage problems or my broadband (cable) provider's problems. And, we
have an average of 4-6 commercial power failures a year where I live.
Only the wireline service and its robust access to E911 can survive
all of that.

William Cousert wrote:

> I'm thinking about subscribing to one of the many VOIP services
> (Vonage, Callvantage, etc.) and have a few questions.

> Are any of these good enough to replace a POTS line? I'll be using it
> over Verizon's new Fios service.

> Where can I find a comparison of all the available services? I did a
> quick google search and found nothing.

> Do any of the services offer a discounted rate for a second or third
> line?

> Lingo seems to offer the most for the least amount of money. Are they
> worth considering?

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: For myself, I go with Vonage, mainly
> because of my advertising relationship with them. I do not know if
> that makes them 'better' or not, just 'cheaper' for me. I still have
> some Vonage e-coupons good for one month of free service. If anyone
> wants to test out Vonage, email me and ask for an e-coupon. The deal
> is, you click on the link in the email I send you; it then walks you
> through the sign up process of getting a number assigned, shipping
> out the telephone adapter (quite easy to install), etc. You use a
> credit card of your choice to pay for the adapter and a month of
> service. _Then_ the e-coupon kicks in, and whatever service you
> bought, you get a second month of the same for free. Email me for
> your coupon: ptownson@massis.lcs.mit.edu PAT]

Go to Next message: AES: "Re: An Incident Forty Years Ago at Bell Labs"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Thinking About VOIP"
May be in reply to: William Cousert: "Thinking About VOIP"