TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?

Re: Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?

Al Gillis (alg@aracnet.com)
Fri, 20 May 2005 14:51:42 -0700

<hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote in message

> Isaiah Beard wrote:

(much snippage...)

> Some tie-lines were relayed from PBX to PBX, you kept dialing the
> access code and tied together a bunch of systems. I don't think that
> was the preferred way, however.

Back in the days when I was just a pup I was working in a department
store chain that had numerous stores in Oregon and California. One
evening (when the boss was away, most likely) I happened into the
telephone equipment room and found a store telephone dialing guide.
One section contained inter-location dialing codes! After I thought
about this listing for a while I guessed I could call from one store
to another, to another and to yet another. Finally I was able to make
a chain of tie line calls a dozen or so stores away and then loop the
chain back on itself and cause another phone in my same room ring!
Knowing nothing of how telephones worked I was astounded by this feat
of black magic! I also recall that one could hardly hear across this
lengthly chain of tie lines -- that is, a radio playing onto the first
telephone almost couldn't be heard in the final phone!

Al

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Some of those tie-lines were absolutely
rotten, accoustic-wise. Some of them sounded like you were talking
into a barrel; others would snap at you off and on. PAT]

Go to Next message: HorneTD: "Re: FCC's 911 Move a Trojan Horse? Critics Charge Engineering"
Go to Previous message: Jack Decker: "First Coffee - FCC VoIP E911 Ruling - Cheryl Waller"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?"